Unicorns of Nepal!



Today was a busy day. Please do not get the idea of a busy schedule with hectic time frames. The idea of me all over the place doing a thing or other scares me.  Back to my point, it was busy because I had to pay bills for the water company that supplied water to my house today. If it’s any indication to what I am about to write, the whole trip to the K.U.K.L. (Kathmandu Upateyka KhanePani Limited) was not pleasant. I know this has been overstated fact that government offices here in Nepal are as inefficient as my study schedule but then again here we are talking about it again.
I was at the billing counter, a trip 15 minutes from home. The road as it has been for months has been a picturesque form of a war zone  My cousin described it the other day; he told me it reminds him of the “Call Of Duty” franchise war simulation. I have to agree with him. The dust, the destruction and the traffic, all pile up to everyone’s frustration. I would say a revolution is on the way but then again if I said that I would quote one of Nepal’s political leaders and trust me I don’t want to be political. But anyhow with these thoughts rambling in my head I reached the supposed destination.
There I was irritated by my short trip and totally confused about the procedure of bill payment. So, I decided to go to the help desk as labeled in the office. The office of the whole corporation lay beside a large water container that was big enough to hold a supermarket. The help desk lady asked me for my consumer identification card and she advised me to go to Counter No.3 to pay my bills. Then just like a law abiding citizen (unlike Gerrard Butler) I got in line for my turn in Counter No.3.
A lot happened when I was in the line. A bee flew past me without stinging me, government  employees finished gulping their tea in his office without even offering to the normal folk, an entire episode of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER aired on TV, Obama finished his second term as the president of USA and the apocalypse finally  happened in 21st December  2050 A.D. There were only 2 people in front of me and the lady behind the counter took more than 20 minutes to finish their deal. It seemed like an eternity when I finally reached the counter and when I gave her my consumer card she informed me I was in the wrong counter. I was to go to the Counter No.1. I was misinformed by the help desk. Well, 20 minutes down the drain.
I got in even a longer line this time but magically this person at this specific counter was more efficient than the others. He completed the job in over 30 seconds per consumer and neatly I was there under 3 minutes. He wasn't much for chitchat. He took my car, appropriate fees, bill was issued and I was off. What an efficient employee and he didn't even use a computer. He did all of the work manually. I was impressed. A government controlled corporation with an efficient officer is hard to find these days in Nepal. They exist, are large in numbers but simply hard to find just like unicorns.
I hope such unicorns do exist in the road reconstruction offices as well because this road rampage or road kill (waiting to use that one for a long time) is unbearable. The broken houses, the dust all need to be settled very fast. It is hard for us common folk who rarely have a day without a dust induced asthma and bronchitis. If it is hard for the unicorns to do alone call on the Dragons (private contractors) for help. Just an opinion!


No comments:

Post a Comment