Family


It started from childhood and it has reached it’s climax when I am in my last years of teenage. I was always told I was a bright kid by my parents and I proved them right. The academic achievements of my childhood and later teen years profoundly inspired my parents to dream about immense success of their child. This led to me damning my society for its decadence. Not the whole world but the society of my home country which I reside.

My country has a long tradition of joint family. Even my family used to be a joint family until my father decided come to the capital for better future of his kids. Yes, My future.  But little did I know that this move would put me in a debt forever and I would be bound by social morals to uphold that debt. The idea of joint family means that you are dependent on others in many issues. But what happened was that the family of mine turned into a nuclear family  without a transition which has created problems for me. Problems like making my own choices like my friends in the west.

For instance in the western world the child is to be his own man or her own woman after the age of 18 because they are nuclear families and they take care of themselves. But in a joint family we never separate and we are bound to stick together and continue together. The abrupt transition from the joint family and nuclear family has caused problems. The parents are with a nuclear family structure and values but the mindset still represents Joint family. Thus, they wish to expect all the benefits parents receive in a joint family while the family is still nuclear.

On the other hand, children as they compare themselves to be independent (and are taught be so by their parents) see no obligation to others and they wish to follow what the western world does. This has created a problem for society. That is the exact situation of many of the youths in my country and me. The politicians and social analysts call it a generation gap but I call it unnatural social structure establishment.

See, our society  adapted to the social structure of a joint family but the lack of knowledge and social understanding and the outburst of the nuclear family structure created an imbalance in the society. There was no transition which caused social dilemmas and brain drain. Yes brain drain. The major reason youth from my country go to countries like USA, Australia or UK is to escape and in their own words be free to make their own decisions. This luxury is not available here because of the interference of parents or the overwhelming involvement of parents in the personal lives of their kids.

The lack of social revolution and social understanding has been root for the evils that exists in my country. Better we understand that about our society, better we learn to live harmoniously.

No comments:

Post a Comment