Fake Advisers!


There are a significant number of people who have the "big talks" with me. They talk about life; they talk about careers and frankly irrelevant topics about sports. I am comfortable with the last one but for the first two, I really need a distinction of that person to take the advice. Distinction is professional and personal distinction in this matter.  Does this person have a significant role in my life? Is this person professionally, emotionally and socially successful person? I ask these questions before I take the advice.

Most of these people do not pass the second question. Some even don't pass the first question. Whenever that happens, I just watch them comically as they have the big talk but little to show for it. For instance, last week someone told me that dreams should be small so that it can be achievable. A middle class teen should not dream so big. This came from a guy who wasted most of his life partying and doing mediocre things. Now, neither did he pass the second question with flying remarks nor was he a close member of my family. He wasn't even a friend. I told him straight, "I don't take free advice!" There was no point in lying to a person like that. 

Why should I lie? I won't take his advice anyways. I don't want him to hope that I take his advice. This is when he said I was rude.  I mean it is sensible to call me rude when I outright reject his proposal but he should have considered this, I was honest to him unlike other people. I do not want to fabricate reality for him, nor do I want him to feel good about something that he tried to but then failed at. So, I just told him his advice was going down the drain. That is what I always do. Even if that makes me rude or if it hurts people's feelings. I respect the concern they have for me but not their advice.

Whenever I give someone advice, I want the same treatment. Call the bullshit if I do it. That will help me and you too. Do not let bad advice be fabricated with a fake smile and a fake acceptance.  That will only be a fake boost for the adviser's ego. I mean, who wants a bad adviser? I wish someone should have hit Ben Affleck's adviser when he suggested he should be Batman. At least we would have been saved. That is what happens when you give fake adviser's fake ego boost!

No comments:

Post a Comment