Five Reasons why Nepal does not need a Constituent Assembly right now! (Part-1)


I am going to say this out loud, "I am not a supporter of Baidhya's or any political party." Some might term me as a supporter of their party but here is the thing, I do not believe in communism. I do not believe in a system where there is no ownership of property and skill. So that is out on the open now getting back to the topic, here is why I believe Nepal should not have constituent assembly at this frame of time. I don't mean never but not right now! (That is what she said last night!)

1.The widespread illiteracy in Nepal!

Nepal has very high illiteracy. The statistics of 2011 presents data that 56.6% of adult population of Nepal is only literate. That means 43.4% of people do not know how to read and write clearly. I do not mean to say that people who do not know how to read and write do not understand the issues of the constitution  but it is hard for them to put their issues in the constitution. That means if the percent of people who are not literate participate in the election, I am fairly certain it will do more harm then good.

I am not saying that illiterate people have no intelligence but what I am saying is until and unless we cannot make 80% people literate to understand what rules have been made for them, this will not be good for our society. What if ten or twenty years from now the people who were not a part of this process raise questions about it? What if somebody who is unable to understand the rules in the Constitution break the law accidentally? What if these people want some law and they cannot express it?

All of this will be a major issue to discuss once we think of this election. Maybe last time we failed was because of this. Most people were not able to give value to the process that was going on in the country.

(To be Continued....)

No comments:

Post a Comment