How it is justified to hate your own country: A perspective of Nepal!


I hate this country and I hate the people. I cannot get any good vibes. I am going to US/Australia/India to study. You should too. I am never returning. We don't have this here... that here... These are the exact words said by lots of Nepalese youths. I might have even said them couple of times. The most common phrase of frustration is that "I hate this whole freaking country!"

Well, it is justified to be frustrated. We are encouraged to go study in school by political leaders in their speeches but they won't let the vehicles run. Strikes run amid load shedding which decreases the chances for self study for the middle class and lower class children. The trap is so vicious that even when we triumph through all of this and pass our 10th or 12th grade, our results are postponed due to strikes by our fellow student friends who do a lot more than student politics. So, I say it is justified to be angry towards the country. Even justified to hate it! But let me clear the air here. WE DON'T HATE NEPAL. We just hate the system here.

The system is not a failure due to corruption but the system is a failure due to brain drain. See, here is a fact; yearly 400,000 students go for abroad study. These students do not study in Nepal but got to other countries for studying Bachelors, Masters and PhD. It is justified to search for better education but the problem is only 20,000 returns to Nepal each year.  That means the yield is only 5%. So, let me point it out to all the people who do this and are frustrated about the system of Nepal (me included).DO YOU REALLY HAVE A GROUND TO SAY ANYTHING?

It is preposterous that those people who distant themselves from the country have any right to comment on the system of the country which they deserted. At least the people who run the country here are trying to do something. I am not in support of the corrupt here but for the people who are not corrupt and who really do good work. These people have kept the system alive. Kept the heart of the country pumping! If any of us who is so frustrated to desert our motherland forever had any shame then I would say that we would be changing the system.

Deserters like us should be tagged cowards. The only Japanese survivor of Titanic ship was tagged coward by the whole nation because he ran away from the ship. He should have died with honor they said. I see the same scenario for the deserters of Nepal. We are all cowards. We are all hypocrites. One of my friends and social activist Kaushal Raj Sapkota says that "We need democracy with Danda!" He could be right. He could be so true that that the people who should enforce this type of democracy should be the ones who have had the privilege to witness successful democracies aboard. Instead most seek to build Africa by getting high paid jobs in UN.

I am not saying Africa should not be developed and do not work for the UN. What I am saying is, these people who cannot develop their own country, how can they go do something positive for a foreign country?  Logic just jumped out of the window! Well, I think this is a puzzle of the hypocrites and I cannot solve it! But there is still hope. Few who return have done magic and sparks of those magic moments are projects such as Kolor Kathmandu, Peace Innovation Lab in Lamjung and many others!

No comments:

Post a Comment